Sunday, February 24, 2008

Things You Don't Need to Know...

...But Might Be Curious About Anyway.

1- When I was in 5th grade, I named a teddy bear Rudy, after one of my big sister's friends. I still have him - the teddy bear, not Rudy.
2- I named the teddy bear Rudy because when my sister introduced me to the real Rudy, he said, "Delaune?" (he mispronounced it as "da -lawn" instead of "da-lawn-ay") Then he said, "As in mow da lawn?" From then on, he called me Mo. But no one else could. So don't even think about it!
3- My favorite item of clothing is a 1930s dress I found in an LA thrift store that I swear is a Vionnet. I can dream, can't I?
4- If I am walking next to someone, it is nearly impossible for me to walk in a straight line, and not veer into them. Just ask my husband. Or my cousins who suffered through this for all of our school years together. I am not sure how metaphorically I should take this.
5- My favorite quote is "All serious daring starts within." -Eudora Welty.
6- I could eat oatmeal (Quaker Oats, old fashion, not one minute) with a pear cut up into it for breakfast every day for the rest of my life and be happy.
7- However, #6 is a newly acquired taste. When my momma asked me what I wanted for breakfast on my seventeenth birthday, I said, "Oatmeal." But later, when my sister asked me why I wasn't eating it, I said, "I forgot that I don't like oatmeal."
8- I lived in Italy, but never got to Rome. There, I said it.
9- Speaking of other things I never did, I never saw Chariots of Fire, even though I told my mother that I was going to see it. I have a little feeling that going to NO with my older boyfriend had something to do with this story. Sorry, Momma!
10- If I was going to eat meat again - and I don't think I will - it would be a BLT.
11- I didn't give up meat out of concern for animals, I gave it up for Lent, and it stuck. But now I'm concerned about the animals.
12- My favorite poet, even before ee cummings, is my sister, Maggi Michel and not just because she wrote a poem about me being wayward and fifteen. She's also a killer short story writer.
I'd love to have lunch with Tennessee Williams because all of his characters are straight out of how and where I grew up.
13- My favorite day of the week is Wednesday because that was the day I met Jon McArthur in a MacDonald's at the end of 7th grade. I've moved on; so has he. In fact, he moved on a lot sooner than I did! But I kept the favorite day.
14- Okay, I didn't really meet him that Wednesday. I only saw him, and then I looked him up in my cousin's Catholic High School year book, found out where he went to Mass (yes, this was South Louisiana) and went to his church the following Sunday, and officially met him then. This really wasn't stalking, I promise. But only because I was too giggly to talk to him once I saw him again.
15- During the day, I can fall asleep in ten seconds flat.
16- When I was a little kid and shared a room with my sister, I would get terrified when she talked in her sleep that she had been taken over by an evil spirit and was going to attack me.
17 - In case you were worried, she never did.
18- My favorite dinner in the world is popcorn.
19- My father made the best popcorn in the world in an avocado green electric pan - remember those? He'd put 2/3's of the popcorn in the big wooden salad bowl with salt over it for him, and the rest of the popcorn in the small wooden salad bowl with sugar sprinkled over it for me and we'd watch "The Carol Burnett Show." (Okay, do not miss that clip - hysterical!). He loved Vicki Lawrence.
20- He also loved Sally Struthers, so when I did "The Gilmore Girls" (I played the Vet. I was hired in the second season with this really great recurring role - hooray! - to play Suki's girlfriend, but when I got to the table reading, and the actress playing Suki found out that the new guest starring girl was going to be her paramour, she flipped and called her agent, and the next day, my role was cut down to 3 lines and no more shows. Boo-hoo! I would have been a nice girlfriend!) But anyway, I got to tell Sally Struthers that my father loved her, and that made it worth it. Sort of.
21- My best quality is I can laugh at myself.
22- One of my worst qualities is I am clumsy. When I was a waitress, my nickname was Crash. Whenever anything would break, all the other waiters would stop what they were doing and yell in unison, "DeLauné!"
23- My most embarrassing moment was my crush on Stephen Bell in seventh grade. But, boy, was he cute!
24-My favorite animal is a polar bear, especially when they swim underwater at the zoo.
25- I love reading a mystery novel in one night. Thank God for coffee the next day.
26- The thing I miss second-to-most about LA (our family and friends there are first) is my writing program for at-risk teens. Check out a video about it here. I'm in it with a chemical haircut after two bad highlight jobs from a Beverly Hills salon that will remain nameless. But it starts with a "U".

3 Comments:

Blogger J.A.L. said...

We too had an avocado green skillet when I was growing up. Only instead of popcorn, my mother would make liver with smothered onions in it. This was thought to be healthy and delicious! If I concentrate really hard I can smell the aroma coming out of those moveable holes in the top of the skillet. Best not to linger there. For anyone reading this who is trying to enjoy a meal, my apologies.

March 15, 2008 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We too had an avocado green skillet when I was growing up. Only instead of popcorn, my mother would make liver with smothered onions in it. This was thought to be healthy and delicious! If I concentrate really hard I can smell the aroma coming out of those moveable holes in the top of the skillet. Best not to linger there. For anyone reading this who is trying to enjoy a meal, my apologies.

March 16, 2008 at 8:30 PM  
Blogger Sogalitno said...

funny the things a big sister discovers reading her baby sister's blog!

good start sweetie!

April 9, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home